Thursday, March 3, 2011

Beef Enchiladas with Sprouted Tortillas

People often tell me that they are just too busy to make healthy meals. I understand their concern. I remember thinking the same thing when I first started learning about better meals for my family! Azure offers several pre made meals that I love to send with Joe on his deliveries. Then there are the times that I want something fast here at home too! That’s when I turn to a few favorite products that I can quickly put together for a delicious meal that will satisfy my family for hours!

Let me introduce you to my star ingredients:

Picnik collage

IMG_8498IMG_8503

2 packages Sprouted Wheat Tortilla’s Fajita Size (Item number: FG154) I like using these best because they are thinner than the Ezekiel Sprouted Tortillas (Item number: FG150) Today I used both! Why sprouted? Sprouted tortillas are full of nutrition that the body can easily put to use. Sprouted tortillas also give the dish a delicious flavor.

hamburger

2 pounds Ground Beef (Item number: MT003) Azure offers beef from livestock that are raised on certified organic range pasture! If you’re not use to buying pasture raised beef you’ll be surprised by all the flavor beef has without the need to add seasoning. Another tip, when cooking don’t cook it too high and too fast.

IMG_8499

2 cans Rice and Beans (Item number: GY720) Azure sells Eden Organic products to help us on those busy days when cooking rice and beans from scratch just wasn’t fitting into the schedule. I love having resources that are quick in the kitchen without jeopardizing the nutrition of the dish. I used 1 Tbs per tortilla.

IMG_8495

1 tsp Garlic Salt (Item number: BP012) I am a fan of RealSalt! Organic natural garlic salt that contains no MSG! I am very generous when salting my dish. I am confident that serving RealSalt is not only tasty but good for the family!

hs175_jpg_300x300_q85

1/2 tsp Organic Ground Pepper (Item number: HS604) If you’re not use to the spices from Azure you may not know what you’re missing. I especially like to ground my own peppercorns for a rich, fresh flavor! Whole Black Peppercorns (Item number: HS176)

gy850_jpg_300x300_q85

2 cans Crushed Tomatoes (Item number: GY851) is what I use instead of a tomato sauce. Eden Organic several varieties including, Crushed Tomatoes with Sweet Basil (Item Number: GY855)  or Crushed Tomatoes with Roasted Garlic (Item number: GY857)  Any of these would be a wonderful addition however, for today I used Crushed Tomatoes. You’ll use 1 can to make your tortillas and one can to cover the top of the dish. Adding the sauce and plenty of cheese to each tortilla ensures your dish won’t be dry. 

IMG_8496ch086_jpg_300x300_q85

8 ounces Cheddar Cheese, Raw Milk (Item number: CH096) We often make our own cheese but sometimes we just don’t have the time. In those moments I find this an acceptable substitution. In fact, the children enjoy trying the variety of cheese that Azure sells so we can see which one is our favorite and try to “master” it for our home cheese making.

2 cups of Mild Cheddar Cheese (Item number: CH086) You could also use the Mexican Blend Cheese (Item number: CH181) I probably would have used a few bags of this Mexican Blend if I not forgotten to order some! Take a look at Azure’s cheese selection and find the product that you would like most. You don’t have to do it specific to what I do. I change the products I use in my recipes often. Sometimes I surprise myself and find a new favorite!

1 Chopped Onion (Item number: QP018) I think onions make any dish taste better. In fact, if you look at the photo you’ll notice I actually used THREE onions… I don’t know how much of that I ate raw while assembling and I did have left overs. I suppose the average person would find one onion to be plenty!

There are so many variables that you can do to this dish. Add some spinach or  maybe even try some Black Olives the possible are abundant.

IMG_8510

Thoroughly cook your meat and season with garlic salt and pepper. Heat up your Rice and beans, chop your onion, and shred your cheese. Open up your cans of crushed tomatoes and set before you with your other ingredients for assembling your tortillas. Take one tortilla and put 1 Tbs of meat, 1 Tbs of rice and beans, 1 Tbs of crushed tomatoes, a few onions, a heaping teaspoon of each cheese and fold and place into a 9X13 pan.

IMG_8513IMG_8514

Once your pan is full of filled tortillas cover  with your other can of crushed tomatoes. Then put the remaining cheese over the top and back at 350 until cheese is melted and browning around the edges.

IMG_8518

Serve with a fresh green salad and enjoy!!

Until our next chat….

Mrs. Joseph Wood

Popular Posts